.

.

Sunday, March 18, 2012

Peakfinder: A Great Phone App for Hikers!

Update Note 03-19-12: I updated the photos as commenter Whimzical commented on how to take print screen photos on my phone!

Has anyone out there used this app, PeakFinder? It’s a really cool app that I learned about through the scuttlebutt on Facebook. This application turns your phone into a virtual looking glass to the mountains and hills that surround you, wherever you’re standing. You can put it in 360° mode and move it around you, and the phone will sweep the landscape of peaks. Leaders with the mountain’s names display as well. At any time, you can lock the view window, highlight summits with digital binoculars and even sit on the top of a targeted peak and look at the landscape from that perspective.

This is an extremely cool app and it seems PeakFinder has USA East (which is what I have), USA West, Canada West and the Alps all available for both the iPhone operating system as well as Andriod. I can only speak for the iPhone app, that it works very well and is pretty accurate with positioning. The cost of this app for the iPhone is $3.99, which was money well spent. It is approximately 50MB in size.
 
PeakFinder finding South and North Uncanoonuc from where I'm standing!

PeakFinder finding North Pack and Pack Monadnock from where I'm standing
Definitely check this app out when you get a chance. Nothing works better than a map and a compass, but this certainly a close second!



Share/Bookmark

6 comments:

  1. Simultaneously hold down "home" and the "lock/power" buttons to take a picture of your iPhone's screen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AWESOME! Thanks! That trick works great and I updated my crappy photos!

      Karl

      Delete
  2. Found this app when I was out in Utah in January and was trying to figure out what peaks I was looking at. Really works well. I have the Android version on my phone and the iOS version on my iPad and wife's iPhone. Used it in the Whites this weekend and it works really well. The iPad version is great for use in IDing the peaks in photos after a hike. There are a couple of other iOS apps similar to this that look like they might be even better and I'm thinking about grabbing them and doing a comparison at some point. If you haven't already done it you should start a thread on VFTT with this post. Could lead to some interesting conversation. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark,

      Thanks for the info. If I recall correctly, I think you were the scuttlebutt on Facebook that I was referring too! I'll have to check out if there are better ones out there. It seems this is a rather new/young app, as their Facebook following is only at 100 or so. I think the idea of using it to ID mountains in photos is an awesome usage of this app. Great idea! I will post in VFTT as you mentioned.

      Karl

      PS: Why do you still have a Droid? Get an iPhone, you'll never go back!

      Delete
  3. I've been using something similar called PeakAR for Android (probably for iPhone too) and it sounds similar to Peakfinder, except it's free. It will superimpose peak names over a live camera view, and you can click on each for more info.

    It doesn't have the wireframe landscape in your peakfinder pictures, which I think looks clearer (it is a live camera view). You also can't jump to another mountain to see that view, but it's a good budget alternative.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think my husband has that app; he seems to like it. He hasn't tried it out in the Whites just yet, maybe it is time to get him back on the trail.;)

    ReplyDelete