Have you ever heard of National Trails Day? It's the country's largest, collective celebration for trails. That doesn't necessarily mean hiking trails, but could mean mountain bike trails, etc.as well. Anyone can host an event on this day each year. They do obvious events like hikes and bike rides, but also do events like gear demonstrations, bird watching and stewardship programs. Here are Five Facts on Friday regarding National Trails Day!
1. What is National Trials Day?
• “National Trails Day encourages all Americans to connect with local outdoor clubs, businesses, community groups, and parks and recreation departments as well as federal land managing agencies to experience, appreciate, and share the natural places we cherish. Started in 1993 by the American Hiking Society, it is centered on the idea that for one day each year we should come together outdoors and give back to our favorite trails.” (Quote from Source)
2. When is National Trails Day (2014)?
• The official date of National Trails Day® is always the first Saturday in June. This year, National Trails Day will be held on Saturday, June 7, 2014.
3. What are examples of common National Trails Day Events?
• “Examples include all non-motorized activities related to trail-recreation such as hikes, bike rides, trail maintenance, health fairs, educational workshops, children’s programs, horseback rides, backpacking trips, river and paddling excursions, wildlife viewing, photography clinics, gear demonstrations, etc.” (Quote from Source)
4. How do you find an event near you?
• Visit http://www.americanhiking.org/ntd-events/. Also, many local towns also hold events, so be sure to check your town’s website for more information.
5. What should you look forward too or plan for?
• National Trails Day for 2015 will be on June 6, 2015, so plan ahead :0
All information for this post was taken from the following source: http://www.americanhiking.org/national-trails-day/host-information/