.

.

Sunday, June 8, 2014

Miles for Gear!

I travel for my job once in a while. I probably don’t travel as much as some, but enough that it wears me down sometimes. Also, when I do travel, it’s typically to Southeast Asian countries that are very difficult to get to. In some instances, I’ve traveled for 45 hours straight (one way) due to layovers and delays. My standard trip however, is approximately 32 hours one way…and I usually make that journey on the weekend so that I can fit in a full work week. Well, I finally found a way to use that time I spend on an airplane to benefit my hiking and outdoor hobbies. I learned that I can use my United Airline Miles to purchase some nice pieces of equipment!

The other day, I drained my mileage account to purchase three items:


The first item I redeemed miles for was a Garmin Montana 650t Waterproof Hiking GPS with TOPO US 100K and 5 Megapixel Camera. Now, I’ve never used a GPS unit before as I stay on pretty well known and published trails. However, I figured if I wanted a GPS, this is probably one of the better ones to get since it retails on Amazon for around $600. I’ve always dabbled with the idea of Geocaching too, so this may solidify my entry into that hobby as well. My time sitting on a jet at 40,000 feet was well used here!


The second item I redeemed miles for was a set of Cobra Electronics CXT545 28-Mile Two Way Radios. I’ve wanted to get a two way radio for my pack for while in the event of a survival situation in the wilderness. It’s my understanding that it’s another possible means to communicate with a rescue team if needed, although not always affective. This set wasn’t didn't take many redeemable miles and retails for about $60 on Amazon. This set has a lot of cool features including an LED flashlight which shines out of the bottom of the radio and a button which alerts you of the current weather conditions. I’m not sure if I’ll be happy with them or not, but I’ll let you know.


The last item I redeemed miles for was a set of Bushnell Off Trail 10x28 Binoculars. I had a set of smaller binoculars that I used to keep in my pack but somehow lost them. These ones looked pretty nice and compact, so with the few miles I had left, I decided to give them a try. They retail for about $80 on Amazon.

Once I get around to trying all of these items out, I will do reviews on each of them. Hope you come back to see what I think!

Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment